Responsibilities of Groupe Lebel, the strength of a region!

Forestry at Groupe Lebel

Our regional family business is proud of its good forest practices, which seek both to ensure the resource’s future and respect other users.  Groupe Lebel makes every effort to ensure the forest is well managed and remains healthy.

The principle of compliance with the allowable cut remains one of its foremost concerns. The forestry team, composed of forest professionals, technicians, measurers and foreman, sees to compliance with environmental guidelines and the other laws in force established by the Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs.

Annually, 1.6 million cubic metres are processed by all Groupe Lebel sawmills. More than two thirds comes from private forests in Québec, New Brunswick or the State of Maine.

Groupe Lebel is proud to have adapted its processing and manufacturing model to what the forest provides. In the Lower St. Lawrence region, over 80% of sawmill-quality fir and spruce, including Norway spruce, from commercial thinning operations in private and public forests are processed at one of the plants operated by the family business.  This is a notable advantage for woodlot owners and for the region!

The spruce budworm epidemic has been spreading for the past few years in the Lower St. Lawrence.  For Groupe Lebel’s Director of Procurement, Normand Simard, this is a major challenge. “We must take care to adapt our watering and harvesting strategies to minimize the losses caused by the infestation, in a context where we want to avoid reviving successive reductions in the allowable cut,” he affirms.

At Groupe Lebel, the forest alone allows the employment of hundreds of workers in the region (harvesting, transport, supervision). In addition, our good forestry practices pave the way for future generations, so that the family business can continue its progress!

DID YOU KNOW? The forest is a renewable resource.  In Québec, 90% of lands are public and 8% are private lots.  Less than 1% of forest territory is harvested each year. The vast majority of forests (80%) regenerate naturally.  Reforestation is necessary for the remaining 20%.

Workers' welfare

Groupe Lebel is proud to be able to create employment in 15 municipalities in Québec, two in Ontario and one in United States. 1000 quality jobs are offered in these municipalities, greatly contributing to the vitality of our regions.

Health and safety are at the core of Groupe Lebel’s concerns.  Management and employees work together to optimize health and safety practices. From internal committees to safety projects, assisted by the sustained work of our prevention specialist, every effort is made so that all individuals pay attention to their health and safety.

Fondation Annette Cimon Lebel

Fondation Annette Cimon Lebel was established in 1995, thanks to Annette Cimon Lebel, the wife of Groupe Lebel’s founder. Having experienced cancer herself, she recognized how difficult it is for some people to pursue their treatment, due to a lack of financial resources. Supported by Groupe Lebel employees, she decided to found an organization that would help these people.

Today, the Foundation still helps cancer patients, with the participation of the Lebel family and Groupe Lebel employees. The annual golf tournament held in June of each year is the main fundraising activity. A second golf tournament held in September since 2019 to raise more funds.  The Foundation helps over a hundred people a year with your donations, and has donated over $800,000 since it began.

To learn more about the Foundation

Back to top