Social role - Groupe Lebel inc. downward arrow

Forestery

Our regional family business is proud of its good forestry practices, which ensures the future of the resource as well as respect for other users. Groupe Lebel makes every effort to ensure that the forest is well managed and remains healthy. “It is a great source of pride to produce materials that are part of the solution in the fight against greenhouse gases. In addition to being a renewable resource, wood material sequesters carbon”', says the company’s CEO, Mr. Frédéric Lebel.

Respecting allowable cuts is our top priority. Our team in charge of forestry, made up of professionals, technicians, measurers and forestry supervisors, ensures that the environmental guidelines and other laws put in place by the Ministry of Forestry, Wildlife and Parks are respected and even exceeded.

Of the 2.5 million cubic meters processed annually by the Group's sawmills, more than 80% of the fiber comes from the free market: private forests in Quebec, New Brunswick, the state of Maine or from public auctions (BMMB).

Another source of pride for Groupe Lebel is having adapted its processing and manufacturing model to what the forest provides. In addition to processing fir and spruce, some of Groupe Lebel’s factories specialize in processing Norwegian spruce, red pine and larch. This is a significant asset for woodlot owners and for the region!

Because of our concern for the environment, more than 80% of the company's energy needs (sawmill and wood kiln) are met by autonomous systems fueled by ecological by-products generated by the manufacture of construction wood (bark, sawdust, chips).

Pile de bois rond-Squatec

The spruce budworm epidemic has been on the rise for several years in Bas-St-Laurent. For Groupe Lebel’s procurement director Normand Simard, the challenge is considerable: "We must strive to adapt our harvesting strategies in order to minimize the losses caused by the infestation, without neglecting the significant supply of fiber by small private producers. "

At Groupe Lebel, the forest alone allows us to employ hundreds of workers in the region (harvest, transport, supervision). In addition, our good forestry practices pave the way for future generations, so that the family business can continue to grow!

DID YOU KNOW? The forest is a renewable resource. In Quebec, 90% of land is public and 8% is composed of private lots. Less than 1% of the forest land is harvested each year. The vast majority of forests (80%) regenerate naturally. For the remaining 20%, reforestation is necessary.


Workers' welfare

Groupe Lebel is proud to be able to create employment in 14 municipalities in Québec, two in Ontario and one in United States. 1200 quality jobs are offered in these municipalities, greatly contributing to the vitality of our regions.

Health and safety are at the core of Groupe Lebel’s concerns. Management and employees work together to optimize health and safety practices. From internal committees to safety projects, assisted by the sustained work of our prevention specialist, every effort is made so that all individuals pay attention to their health and safety.


Fondation Annette Cimon Lebel

Annette Cimon Lebel

Fondation Annette Cimon Lebel was established in 1995, thanks to Annette Cimon Lebel, the wife of Groupe Lebel’s founder. Having experienced cancer herself, she recognized how difficult it is for some people to pursue their treatment, due to a lack of financial resources. Supported by Groupe Lebel employees, she decided to found an organization that would help these people.

Today, the Foundation still helps cancer patients, with the participation of the Lebel family and Groupe Lebel employees. The annual golf tournament held in June of each year is the main fundraising activity. A second golf tournament held in September since 2019 to raise more funds. The Foundation helps over a hundred people a year with your donations, and has donated over $800,000 since it began.

To learn more about the Foundation:
Visit the website